Image Source: Freepik
A dental emergency could be the result of an accident where teeth get damaged.It could also be the result of a gum infection that has not been treated.Either way, you need to get to see a dentist as soon as possible.
What Exactly Constitutes A Dental Emergency?
The list of conditions that are classed as emergency include:
- Chipped or Broken Teeth
- Jaw Damage / Trauma Injuries
- Losing a Crown or Filling
- Gum Infection
- Losing a Tooth
While there are no dentists open 24/7, many dental practices do hold back appointment slots.In case of a dental emergency, finding an emergency dentist in Brisbane or in your local area is easy with a Google search.
Here are a few tips to reduce the risk of having a dental emergency:
- Playing Sports-Sports like rugby, Aussie Rules and hockey require gum and teeth protection.When playing these contact sports, you should wear a mouthguard, which protects your teeth and gums in the event of a fall or collision. MMA and boxing, in particular, demand the use of mouthguards.
- Think Prevention– If, for example, you are about to do some home renovation, always make sure that things aren’t left lying around that might cause an accident. We tend to take our safety for granted, and our negligence or carelessness could put us in harm’s way. Before an injury is sustained, try to always think of safety.
- Never Try ToOpen Something With Your Teeth– We’ve all seen the western movies where the hero opens a bottle of beer with his teeth.You should know that this can cause serious damage and you could lose a tooth due to excessive force.
- Good Standard of Oral Hygiene -In order to minimise the risk of gum infection, we should all have a thorough oral hygiene routine.This includes brushing and flossing after every meal, the use of mouthwash after snacking, and brushing after every meal, or at least twice a day – first thing in the morning and then at night before going to sleep.
What To Do When A Dental Emergency Happens?
Fortunately, there are dentists that can open appointment slots for people who need emergency treatment. With a Google search,you can easily find an emergency dentist near you. Dental practices will not usually receive patients outside of their regular opening times so make sure to ask the receptionist when first making contact.
Image Source: Freepik
Always remember that regardless of the dental issue, prompt treatment is essential and any time that you are in pain, make an appointment with your regular dentist to get to the root of the issue. A chipped tooth, for example, might not sound like an emergency, but it could quickly lead to tooth sensitivity and possibly an infection.The sooner you see a dentist, the better.
We should all see our regular dentist at least twice a year, which gives the dental professional a chance to examine your teeth and gums.Should there be any issues, they can be treated promptly. Teeth whitening treatments are also available in the event your teeth become stained and talking to a cosmetic dentist will inform you of the available treatments.